The title of this post is a quote from the same person that gave me the nickname “Anthony Has Ideas”. I named it this to lure that person to actually read the blog they instigated.
I’m proud that I have any ideas, let alone 25% being brilliant. I don’t believe him though, I want to see analytical backup. Can I put that on my resume?
Anyway, back to the real reason you’re reading this. Stupid ass ideas. I’m still in old project mode, so this is another rehash project post. I’m not sure if it’s in the 25% or 75% range of ideas. Either way I had a lot of fun building it. I almost died from the fiberglass fumes, but the reason for that was EASILY in 75% range.
I called the post “The Ole’ Tranny”
This is the car computer (carputer). This was done way back in 2006-7 so don’t judge. I wish the iPad would of been around to solve all the issues I had with this. I ran Windows XP on it…yeah that’s right!!! I could use MS Paint whenever I wanted.
You can check the full build here: http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/show-off-your-project/90342-2000-firebird-trans-am-whord.html
I ended up upgrading a lot on the computer end of this project. I changed my motherboard to an Epia 1.3ghz w/ 512mb ram. I removed the pci card for usb (the new motherboard has it taken care of) and I put in a 2.5″ harddrive (Thanks Mike!)
Check it out!!! This is a set of pictures of my trunk space with my amp, computer, faceplate, custom touchscreen (that I modified), and the subbox I fiberglassed. I was so excited when this was all done.
Problems that I ran into:
- I didn’t want to loose my normal radio so I had to solve for that.
- I had to move my AC controls and it involved cutting actual plastic air tubes that was frightening.
- Bumps in the road ruined almost all of my hard drives. I went through about 3 in a year. That’s quite a bit.
- I should of put in a manual override power/reset button.
- The day I was selling the car the computer acted up and I couldn’t get it to reboot properly so lots of software issues.
Ok that’s it. Thanks for checking it out.